Thursday, 27 August 2009

Caster Semenya Saga Has Become A Fiasco



Like the rest of the world, I've been following the Caster Semenya saga closely and I'm glad this whole story has died down for now.

My heart goes out to Caster, I can't imagine the psychological trauma she's going through during this time. It's like she's been paraded and talked about like a circus freak.

What still puzzles me is the race card that was pulled with this story. Ok maybe I'm naïve and just can't see the bigger picture but what does her race has to do with anything. It's not like she's the first woman who's gender has been questioned. Don't get me wrong here, I totally disagree with the manner in which the news about gender tests being conducted on her. I feel her human rights were violated and the IAAF should of being a lot more sensitivity and privacy.

I commend all those who came in their numbers to welcome Caster and the other two medal winners, Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and Khotso Mokoena. It showed how proud South Africa and her people are proud of their achievements and that we are 100% behind Caster during this time.

But then I wonder how has the homecoming of the three athletes became a political fiasco. There blabber-mouth Julius Malema was saying what a disgrace it is that there wasn't any white South Africans who came to OR Tambo International Airport to welcome the athletes. He went as far as saying of it was the Rugby team they would have been there. Although there was some truth to what he was saying but that was not the day or time. That particular time was to welcome and congratulate the three athletes not to point who was at the homecoming and who wasn't. So what if there weren't any white South Africans. If it was the rugby team I can guarantee that there was going to be more white than black South Africans.

Back to Miss Semenya, I think this story has been blown way out of proportion. She's not the first and will not be the last female athlete to have a gender test. All I can say before I actually make any conclusions is that let's wait and see what the results, although I strongly feel she's a woman. But I'm also afraid of the consequences if the results conclude that she in fact has male chromosomes.

I will be watching this one very closely.

Yea, Mpume said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment