Friday, 28 August 2009

STOP THE HATE: Why Can't We Just All Get Along



This issue has been bothering me for a while now and thought it's about time I let it out. All this haterism has taken it's toll on me especially since it's black on black hate.

Phrases like: “Whoo Xhosa girls are men thieves and are deceitful just like their Xhosa men”, “Zulu men are violent and don't know the meaning of romance” or “Swatis sound like retarded children when they speak” are phrases I've heard one too many times. These are the types of stereotypes that are been attached to people based on their cultural backgrounds.

Whether these phrases are true or not, I don't understand why do we have to define ourselves by stereotypes like these. These stereotypes have gone as far as we as the black nation hating each other. I've heard women saying you should never let a Xhosa woman near your man or else you will find yourself single coz sister girl don't play when it come to men, she takes without asking.

I get really concerned with these stereotypes coz I can't help to think if this is black-on-black hate in a different form. Black people have a history of this kind of hate where blood was shed between the Zulus and Xhosas.

For example people say Zulu women are submissive towards their men and can't stand up for themselves. They like“Yebo baba” whenever he says or want anything. I'm Zulu and certainly I'm no 'yes girl' and will not let no man walk all over me and he knows it. It's 50/50 baby. Or that Zulu women are violent just like their taxi driving boyfriends, wearing fake labels with a matching fake gold tooth bought and fitted at a street corner. Yes we Durbanites love mouth bling but hell no, we don't go that far.

But this hate don't just end with Xhosas and Zulus. I've heard Tsonga women don't have no personal hygiene or that all Coloured girls are smoking and alcohol binging baby making machines.

I have Coloured friends and can safely say that's not true. I know my girls will flip their wigs if somebody told them that to their face. In just about any community, there are those certain individuals who will give misconceptions which unfortunately will create a stereotype to the community.

I wish that we as a people can stop judging each other from one certain experience but judge a person from their personality. Not that I'm all Ms Goody-Too-Shoes but I think it's only fare to give each other a chance and don't shut each other out because we of a certain culture or even race.

Let's just all get along!

Yea Mpume Said So

2 comments:

  1. absolutely! amen sister friend. I must admit i find South African stereotypes fascinating and hilarious, when dished out lightly its all in good fun, however it becomes a serious issue when it constructs our judgement and view of our people, its the breeding ground for rascism in the presence of ignorance. I absolutely agree with you, lets embrace our diversity and just get along already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea girl. and what i've realised that racism is not longer black and white and a lot of people fail to understand that black people are becoming the perpetrators of racism. i still have more to say about this. watch this space

    ReplyDelete