Friday, 24 July 2009

Blast from the Past: Township Life in Reverse



I was browsing through some YouTube video and stumbled upon this SABC 1 advert. This advert was done to promote SABC 1's new slogan “Yama Mpela”. If I remember correctly it aired sometime in 2003.

I absolutely loved this advert. It was a switched life of the ordinary black person living in the township and an average suburbia white person. The ad depicts a white guy from the township, waking up in the morning, walking on the streets of Soweto, township tour buses with black tourists photographing children on the streets, taxi ranks, hair salons on the streets in town. Everything that an average black township person sees and experiences everyday is depicted in the ad but the characters are made to be white.

This ad is creativity at its best and shows what we township folks have to deal with on a daily basis. The music is so fitting, I love that Mapaputsi track, it's so hardcore Absolutely love it.

Ja, Mpume said so.

2 comments:

  1. I also like this ad. I know some people were offended but theres nothing in this ad thats exaggerated. This is how it was and still is,its so unfortunate

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't see nothing offensive about this ad. they were tellin it like it is like Mpume. LOL. I wonder who you are anon

    ReplyDelete