Friday, 17 July 2009

Nelson Mandela Day a little too much?


The 18th of July just about the whole celebrates the birthday of the struggle icon Nelson Mandela. Whether it’s star a studded concert or a smallanyana community gathering, people do celebrate his life and acknowledge what he has done for South African democracy.

Although I’m all for the praises the old man gets (after all he does deserve it) what about the other apartheid struggle heroes and heroines. I mean it’s not like my favourite [soon to be] 91 year old single handed brought South Africa and it’s people democracy.

I’m not hating on tata Mandela on anything but let’s also celebrate the lives and times of other struggle icons. Let’s acknowledge all the other fallen soldiers of the struggle who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of this beautiful country.

Let’s celebrate the birthday of Chris Hani, hell he almost became the first democratically elected president. Robben Island was filled with political prisoners who spent years behind bars for fighting what should have been theirs.

While celebrating the birthday of Nelson Mandela and proposing 18 July to be yet another national public holiday (which I’m all for), lets think about other heroes and heroines who were also instrumental in giving this country freedom.

I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just telling it like it is. Oh and I hear Mandela has his own Nike sneakers.
***On a side note: Shame on Mandela's grandson for cashing on his grandfather's death while he's still alive. Selling exclusive rights to filming his funeral to SABC is just too low. Isn't SABC suppose to be broke? Ey some people I just don't understand them.

Yea, Mpume said so!

No comments:

Post a Comment